Texas surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death

Cheryl Sanders
October 4, 2018

Stabile, who worked for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, died of Naegleria fowleri - a fatal brain infection - in hospital five days later.

Surfer Fabrizio Stabile has died from a severe brain infection caused by Naegleria fowleri, colloquially known as the "brain-eating amoeba", apparently after surfing at the innovative BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas.

Stabile died at the Atlantic City Medical Center in New Jersey on September 21, days after returning home from Texas, NJ.com reported.

The Waco Tribune-Herald released a story about a case of brain-eating amoeba that claimed the life of someone after they have gone to the BSR Surf Resort.

Tottenham v Barcelona: Harry Kane eyes Lionel Messi's scoring records
Premier League giants Tottenham Hotspur will host La Liga champions Barcelona at Wembley in Wednesday's massive Champions League clash.

Doctors at the Atlantic City Medical Center were unable to save Stabile, who died September 21.

The owner of BSR Cable Park, Stuart E. Parsons Jr., said the park will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Stabile's death.

The fatality rate is over 97 percent and only four of 143 known infected individuals in the USA from 1962 to 2017 have survived.

According to Parsons, the rest of the park's amenities are unaffected so only those who frequented the wave pool should be alarmed. The organizations statistics indicate that since 1962 there have been 143 confirmed cases, of which only four people survived.

Supreme Court Justice Kagan won’t discuss Kavanaugh
Mr Trump also contradicted news reports suggesting the investigation would be limited in scope, at the White House's request. Independent voters, who supported Kavanaugh 45 - 39 percent September 10, oppose his confirmation 49 - 39 percent today.

There have been no reports of other illnesses, and Naegleria fowleri infection does not spread from person to person.

The park voluntarily closed on Friday and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was testing the attraction's pool water for Naegleria fowleri, the newspaper reported. It most commonly enters the body through the nose, where it travels to the brain causing primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). "We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

His family is asking for donations to the Swim Above Amoeba Awareness Foundation in his memory. Its symptoms mimic those of bacterial meningitis and include fever, headache, and nausea.

Doctors are not sure how or why a very few people are susceptible, but it's clear that having water forced up into the sinuses, perhaps by dunking or diving, is an important factor.

Quipping Paul Pogba underlines rift with Mourinho after West Ham defeat
If it's from Ed Woodward (the chief executive) to Mourinho and then Mourinho to his players, the place just looks unstable. He also complained about a foul in the build up to West Ham's third, which was scored by Marco Arnautovic.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER